Voting from Abroad

Many states require overseas voters to re-register/re-request their absentee ballots each calendar year, so if there is a
special election for a federal office in your state during 2023, it’s important to re-register, even if you registered and voted in

To do so, go to to request your ballot for 2023. To avoid postal delays, be sure to mark that you
wish to receive your ballot by email!

Real ID
Starting May 7, 2025, every resident of a US state or territory will need to present a REAL ID-compliant license/ID, or another
acceptable form of identification, for accessing federal facilities, entering nuclear power plants, and boarding commercial
aircraft. The card itself must be REAL ID compliant unless the resident is using an acceptable alternative document such as a
passport. The Act does not require individuals to present identification where it is not currently required to access a federal
facility (such as to enter the public areas of the Smithsonian) nor does it prohibit an agency from accepting other forms of
identity documents (such as a U.S. passport or passport card).

As always, US passports are real ID and can be used when traveling, but many members have a US driver’s license, so make
sure that, when renewing, the new license is a REAL ID.

For further information, go to